On one of the slopes of Fruška gora, on a rock that rises about forty meters above the surface of the Danube, is the Petrovaradin Fortress, the best-preserved military bastion along the entire river, which is also called the Invincible Fortress or Gibraltar on the Danube. 

The fortress is located on a high rock, at a strategically important place where the main European roads intersected: the Danube and the Constantinople Road that led from Vienna to Constantinople. Life on the Petrovaradin rock began in prehistory, and continued in later epochs. Celts, Romans, Eastern Goths, Gepids, Avars, Bulgarians, Byzantines, Turks, Austrians and Serbs lived in that area. The Turks will stay in Petrovaradin for a century and a half, until 1691, when the Austrians conquered that area and began to build the fortress we see today.

It is noted that the biggest battle took place near the fortress in 1716 under the name of the Battle of Petrovaradin. The Turkish army, led by David Ali-Pasha, was defeated by the army of Prince Eugene of Savoy. The great victory of the Austrian army opened the way for Savoy to further conquer Temišvar, Belgrade and Serbia, and after the defeat, the Ottoman Empire was forced to sign peace with the Habsburg monarchy in Požarevac in 1718. After this event, the Turks never returned to the area north of the Sava and the Danube. Today, at the place where the Austrian army won the victory, a monument was erected as a permanent memory of the great event.

The construction of the Petrovaradin Fortress, a masterpiece of war architecture of the time, was started by the Austrians in 1692 on the site where Leopold’s bastion was later erected. When the fortress was finally built, it was one of the strongest and largest in Europe, with 400 cannons, 12,000 loopholes and 16km of underground corridors and galleries that could accommodate 30,000 people. The first plan of the Petrovaradin Fortress was made by Colonel Matthias Kaisersfeld, while the second, partially modified draft, was made by Count Luigi Marsigli, based on the plans of the French engineer Sebastian Vauban. The original plans of the fortress are kept in the Vienna Archives, but they are also owned in electronic form by the Historical Archive of the City of Novi Sad. The Petrovaradin fortress consists of the Upper and Lower fortresses, the two-horned bastion of Hornwerk, two outer or island fortifications along the river and the Bridgehead on the opposite bank, which no longer exists. There are numerous buildings on the fortress itself: pavilions, gunpowder, warehouses, barracks, a clock tower and a large war well. The well can be reached through the building of the Museum of the City of Novi Sad, which used to be a cannon building. 

Particularly attractive and interesting are the underground galleries and corridors – lagoons. A small part of the underground lagoons taken care of by the Museum of the City of Novi Sad is lit and arranged for visitors, but the biggest puzzle is the still unexplored and hard-to-reach parts of the underground in Hornwerk. And while the Upper Fortress is located on a rock, surrounded by inner ramparts and dry trenches, the Lower Fortress is a suburb or Petrovaradin, a unique baroque town of exceptional beauty. Petrovaradin used to be an urban civilian settlement with sacral buildings, a military hospital and casemates that keep stories about the time when famous detainees were in them: leader Karađorđe, Josip Broz Tito, Antun Gustav Matoš, Vasa Pelagić…

Since when was it built in 17 .century, Petrovaradin Fortress was never destroyed. In the 1st and 2nd Serbian uprising, there was support for Karađorđ’s insurgents in sending weapons: cannons, gunpowder and lead. In World War I, the fortress was a large warehouse and center for gathering the army and sending it to Serbia, and in the time of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes passed into the hands of the Serbian army. During World War II, it was under Croatian Ustashas and German Nazis until the end of the war and capitulation. After 1948, the fortress ceased to be a military facility and was declared a cultural asset. In the second half of the 20th century, the fortress is a cultural and historical monument, the seat of cultural institutions, educational institutions, art academies and hotel-tourist-catering facilities as an extremely important tourist destination, promenade, picnic area of ​​Novi Sad and the entire region. In the summer months, the fortress lives through various festivals of street musicians, and as a special place on the European map of culture, it is recognized by the largest music festival in this part of Europe, Exit. In addition to Exit, the symbol of the fortress is the famous Дrunk watch.

Захваљујемо се на помоћи при реализацији пројекта:

  • ТО општине Бач, дир. Дарко Војновић, www.turizam.bac.rs
  • ТО града Новог Сада, дир. Бранислав Кнежевић, www.novisad.travel
  • Покрајински завод за заштиту споменика културе града Новог Сада, дир. Мр. Синиша Јокић
  • ТО општине Инђија, дир. Милан Богојевић, www.indjijatravel.rs
  • Туристичко друштво Земун, Мирјана Николић
  • ЈП Београдска Тврђава, Весна Влатковић, www.beogradskatvrdjava.co.rs
  • ТО града Београда, зам. дир. Слободан Унковић, www.tob.rs
  • Регионални завод за заштиту споменика културе Смедерево, в.д. дир. Дејан Радовановић
  • Музеј у Смедереву, дир. Татјана Гачпар
  • ТО општине Велико Градиште, дир. Дајана Стојановић, www.tovg.org
  • Тврђава Голубачки град, Искра Максимовић, tvrdjavagolubackigrad.rs
  • Центар за културу Кладово, дир. Жаклина Николић, www.kulturakladovo.rs
  • ТО Шабац, дир. Тамара Пејић, www.sabacturizam.org
  • ТО општине Пећинци, дир. Љубица Бошковић, www.pecinci.org
  • Републички завод за запштиту споменика културе - Београд

Република Србија
МИНИСТАРСТВО КУЛТУРЕ И ИНФОРМИСАЊА

Сва права задржава: Удружење ВрачАрт